Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What to put in a care package for my deployed husband?

Q. My husband has been over in Afghanistan for about a week now and I am sending him a care package, but I'm not quite sure what kind of stuff to send him! Plus, it's his birthday and I wanted to get him something for that as well, but most of the ideas I come up with would be useless to him over there. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

A. I sent a package to my husband like every two weeks when he deployed. I also have an 11 page attachment if you would like it that have different themed care packages that i have put together through hubby's deployments. These theme care packages make it a little more fun to shop for when you have a certain theme in mind. I have used many of them and then you can just talior it to your hubby. Here are some other sites:
http://www.4militaryfamilies.com/articles/carepackages.htm
http://www.militarycarepackageideas.org/
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27764.asp
http://www.girlposse.com/talk_talk_talk/themed_care_packages_0605.html
http://www.getromantic.com/gift_guide/gift_ideas/romantic_care_packages.html
http://www.militarywives.com/index.php/component/option,com_content/task,section/id,8/Itemid,55/
http://www.theknot.com/co_profileview.htm?profilename=CarePackageBio&MsdVisit=1
http://www.janellsretreat.com/carepackagethemes.html
http://www.cafepress.com/silentranksshop/2000833

Some things I sent hubby:
-things and snacks that i knew he would like. I also sent him things that his friends liked to because they didn't get much.
-cd's of his favorite music
-lots of cards and letters
-I also sent him a box full of unused cards such as thinking of you, Christmas Cards, Birthday Cards, Miss you cards, etc., that he could send back home to family and friends. It is hard to find cards there.
-I sent him Cake in A Jar
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1096421/how_to_bake_cake_in_a_jar.html?cat=22
-Sent him themed Care Packages (some can be as cute as you want and some can be as adult as you make it). One time I took a picture of our front door closed from the outside. Then a picture of the front door open and a picture of the floor. Then a picture of my shirt on the floor, then a picture of my shoes on the floor, then my socks on the floor, then my pants on the floor, then took a picture of my bra on the floor, then I took a picture of my undies on the floor, then I took a picture of our bedroom, then I took a picture of just the bed. Then put a little note that said wish you were here, miss you in my bed. Something like that. Remember though to take the pictures while making your way to the bedroom with the stuff on the floor so it looks like you are dropping your colthes on the way to the bedroom.
-Another thing you can do: buy a new pillowcase. Every night before you go to bed, take a shower but leave your hair a little damp before getting into bed. After a week, the pillowcase will smell like you. Package this up in a ziploc baggie and send a note with it "Something to remind you of me".
-Write in a journal. I sent this to hubby after every 2-3 months. Of course he still got plently of cards and letters but the journal was more thoughtful and more personal. I would write in it right before I went to bed. I wrote everything down, just like a regular journal. My feelings, what i did, what I ate, something that was funny to me that day, something that made me think of him that day, that I spoke to so and so, what the kids did, etc.,,. I then sent that to him. You know that sometimes we always don't get that long phone call or forget to tell them certain things by the time we do talk to them. Or letters that we don't want to make to long because we don't have the time. Hubby loved this because he said it still made him feel close to me and the kids even though he was gone for a year.
-Send him a photo album. Include pictures of his family, your family (as long as he likes them), kids, you, friends, his favorite car, his favorite boat, his favorite place to eat, his favorite place to visit, etc., I sent something like this to him and included letters from friends and family. I also put together a photo album every 4 months for him of things the girls and I did.
-Does he need anything for his room: storage containers, shelves, blankets, new sheets, pillows, footlockers (you know those rectangle black ones), a clock, picture frames, towels, washclothes, shower curtains (you would be surpised how yucky the ones they are using are), a foldable chair, a small table, paper plates, cups, silverware, a small rug for in front of his bed, etc.,
-Indivdually wrapped goodies and snacks. This way they stay fresher. this also includes the drink mixes that can be added to water.
-slippers, robe


How much did it cost for your to furnish your place?
Q. I'm wondering how much it would cost to furnish a 3 bedroom, 2000 sq. ft home. We're planning to buy all new furniture.

How much did it cost for you, and what furniture stores did you go to? Do you have a lot of hand-me-downs? Please include how many bedrooms you have and/or square footage.

A. Furnishing you home can be very expensive. I have a 1200 sq. ft home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Furnishing the living room and the bedroom were the most expensive. These two rooms cost approximately $1500/room to furnish. All our furniture came from Rooms to Go. I waited on sales and discounts before making any big purchases. The kids room and guest room were less expensive to furnish. These rooms were less expensive because we didn't buy room packages and purchased the neccesities, such as just the bed and dresser or nightstand (s). The kids room and guest room cost approximately $800/room. Furnishings for these rooms came from Ikea. The dining room cost approximately $400. The dining room set came from the Room Store. I waited for sales and discounts before making any purchases here too. Most furniture stores have a family and friends day were they give the customer 10 to 20 percent off their products. Use the 10 to 20 percent coupon on a day when there is also a sale. You could save 200 to 500 dollars on furniture. Also, ask for free delivery specials; paying for delivery can get expensive. Note: When buying furniture packages, make sure the price is less than buying the pieces seperate. I found an error in a package price where the package price was more than if I bought the prices seperate. I saved myself an extra $100.

As far as hand me downs, I do not have any. However if you have old living furniture such as sofas, chairs, or loveseats, you can go to a furniture upholstery store or outlet and have you living furniture revamped in the style you want at a cost lower than buying new furniture. Your furniture will be custom.


How much is the cost of living in Ixtapa, Chiapas Mexico?
Q. I've been searching the internet and all I can find is information on tourists and vacation homes. I can't really find any real information about actually living for an extended amount of time in Ixtapa, Chiapas. Can someone tell me what the average costs of rent, utilities, food, and whatever else would be? Especially the rent part. Just a one bedroom. I need to know how much it costs in mexican pesos please.

A. Here's a list of comparisons that were created by an electrical
workers union for its members who might do some work in Mexico.
It's about a year old, so some prices may be out of date:

Dell computer, no frills: U.S. = $875.00, Mexico = $1019.00
Month's rent for 3/1 in working class neighborhood: U.S. = $654.00, Mexico = $125.00
Washing machine: U.S. = $360.00, Mexico = $557.00
Refrigerator: U.S. = $399.00, Mexico = $501.00
Stove w/4 burners and oven: U.S. = $449.00, Mexico = $603.00
Panasonic 20 inch television: U.S. = $160.00, Mexico = $222.00
Sony CD player with AM/FM radio: U.S. = $60.00, Mexico = $89.00

Half gallon of milk: U.S. = $1.61, Mexico = $1.35
One pound of butter: U.S. = $3.39, Mexico = $1.79
Package of Tortillas: U.S. = $1.79, Mexico = $.59
6-pack of Corona: U.S. = $12.00, Mexico = $4.30
One pound of cheddar cheese: U.S. = $4.99, Mexico = $2.24
One pound of baking potatoes: U.S. = $.99, Mexico = $.47
One bottle of cooking oil: U.S. = $3.49, Mexico = $1.48
One head of lettuce: U.S. = $1.49, Mexico = $.44
One pound of apples: U.S. = $1.05, Mexico = $.81
One pound of bananas: U.S. = $.50, Mexico = $.28
Whole chicken per pound: U.S. = $.99, Mexico = $.81
Can of tuna: U.S. = $1.69, Mexico = $.56
Dozen eggs: U.S. = $1.06, Mexico = $1.08
Nescafe coffee, 7 ounces: U.S. = $6.95, Mexico = $3.41

Quart of 20w50 Quaker State Oil: U.S. = $1.48, Mexico = $2.49
Bottle of shampoo: U.S. = $5.49, Mexico = $1.93
1 roll of Charmin Toilet Paper, 133': U.S. = $.89, Mexico = $2.31
Bottle of 100 aspirin: U.S. = $6.00, Mexico = $1.44
Bar of soap: U.S. = $1.00, Mexico = $.54

Pair of Sandals: U.S. = $10.00, Mexico = $9.00
3 pair socks: U.S. = $3.99, Mexico = $2.69
Pair of Old Navy jeans: U.S. = $25.00, Mexico = $20.00
Short sleeved man's shirt: U.S. = $12.99, Mexico = $14.35
Kid's Air Nike shoes: U.S. = $39.99, Mexico = $17.85
Ticket to a movie: U.S. = $8.50, Mexico = $3.40
Lunch at fast food place: U.S. = $4.48, Mexico = $4.57

You will not find a low cost rental on the internet. You have to walk the streets and ask people in the tiendas and the mercado. A good place to start would be to check into Angelas Hotel & Hostel in Zihuatanejo and ask Angela and Greg for their advice





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What to put in a care package for my deployed husband?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP