Sunday, May 5, 2013

Would it be a good or bad idea to rent a house to college students?

Q. I was thinking about buying a 3-bedroom house in Livonia, Michigan to rent out to college students. They would probably be going to Schoolcraft College, a 2-year college with no dorms. I figure I would charge $1200 a month (the typical rent rate), and each student would pay $400. What kind of problems or headaches would I be looking at?

A. Totally depends on the students.

Rentals were a huge success where i went to school (by BYU) so the kids were all religious, recently returned missionaries. Not destructive or immature. Wish I coulda got a rental there to rent out. And this may sound rude but, usually if you stick to renting to girls, they are cleaner and more mature around that age. Im just sayin.....


What are good tips on deep cleaning your house?
Q. I have a 3 bedroom house and i have a three month old, 6 yr old and a 10 year old, the house is pretty clean, but just alot of clutter, what are some good tips on where to start deep cleaning your house, and cleaning it quick before the kids come back from school?

A. A few simple rules I live by as a self-diagnosed clean/neat freak are:
1. Find a place for everything. When you want to buy something at the store, can you visualize where it will go? (Obviously not discussing food here, but kids toys, shoes, etc). For me, if I really want it and don't have a justifiable reason to buy it, I make a deal by getting rid of something similar to replace with the new item....such as another cute pair of black flats, picture frame, or pair of jeans.
2. When it comes to actually cleaning your bathroom, kitchen, floors, etc. work from the top down. Dust all surfaces, wipe away cob webs from ceiling corners and off fans, then work your way down past counter-tops and surfaces to the floor. Finish with vacuuming/mopping/polishing.
3. Baking Soda. I'm not sure why this non-toxic, CHEAP alternative is not discussed more often as an awesome cleaning product. It is biodegradable, earth-friendly, non-toxic for you, kids, pets, and is an amazing degreaser/cleaner. It is the only way I clean my oven by spritzing it with a spray bottle of water, enough to get the soda to stick in as much as 1/2 an inch of the stuff, let it sit even overnight and simply wipe away. In your oven alone, you'll be amazed by how much it soaks up! Of course, be careful on certain surfaces for it can be abrasive.


How do you not go into rescue mode when you read stories of kids if foster care?
Q. Everytime I read about kids spending their entire childhood in foster care, I find it hard to not go into resuce mode.

I want so bad to do something, but there is no way I could handle another child rght now. I only have a 3 bedroom house and work full time.

What can I do to help these kids currently in foster care? Without being a foster parent?

A. I was a foster kid from age 7 until I aged out of the system at 18.

Here are some suggestions for what you can do:

1) Buy some luggage and backpacks and donate them to a group home or CPS. Kids in foster care usually carry their stuff around in bags or old suitcases. I never had a backpack for school stuff.

2) Donate things like toothbrushes, razors, shampoo, and other tioletries to group homes or CPS. These are things that foster parents need all the time.

3) When christmas comes, PLEASE donate some "fun" gifts, like toys and games and balls. All the gifts on the "Angel Tree" are usually things kids need like coats and PJs. Kids need fun things too.

4) Become a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) for a foster child. It requires you meeting with the kid once a week and forming a relationship with the child. BUT IT ALSO is your job to speak for the child and what it is in the best interest of the child. For example, you might recommend that the child get therapy if you discover the child is depressed. You would goto the judge and report this.

6) Donate books for kids of all levels. Kids in foster care are usually behind in schooling. Having boxes of books in group homes let the kids pick books that they feel comfortable trying to read.

There are lots of things people can do, which can really help.
Thanks for asking.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Would it be a good or bad idea to rent a house to college students?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP