Monday, January 21, 2013

Has any one soundproofed their basement?

Q. I am remodeling my house, and I am working on the basement right now. My bedroom is right over the basement and it is going to be a room for the kids, and when they have friends over I do not want to hear them. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could reduce the sound from down there?

A. I was wondering the same thing for our basement. The other day I saw on HGTV where they did a basement apartment renovation, and they did spray foam insulation, and in onne part they used a sound barrier spray foam to cut noise. It struck me that I don't know if there is ANY insulation above the drywall ceiling in our basement since it was drywall when we bought the house.

I don't know how pricey the spray foam is, I'm sure a professional would have to install that... but anybody can put in the roll insulation, and I was going to check if that roll insulation is sold in a noise reducing form, at the home improvement store. I was going to put that in the part of our basement that has no drywall yet, then drywall over it.

I am sure that any insulaiton would help cut the noise, though...
hope this is helpful?


Did you Live in Your Home During Addition/Remodeling?
Q. I mean if you added 3 rooms or more and added another story to the home? I'm not talking just remodeling about 1 room or soemthing minor but a major renovation.

If so, was it because of finances that you didn't want to go into a hotel, or because you just wanted to be in your home. I'm talking about a family as well, not a couple. And how did it affect you?

A. I renovated the entire house while my husband and I lived in it. We stayed at my mums for 4 weeks while one bedroom was completed. They needed stripped to the bone, new ceilings and windows. Then we moved into the completed bedroom and then did the other bedroom and turned it into a small lounge. The kitchen was next (We were using a kettle and microwave up til then as the original kitchen was completely demolished and rebuilt).

It was an absolute NIGHTMARE. I would not recommend it at all. We have spent 30,000 pound (UK) on the renovation and it took 4 months to get each room done and we've been in a year and have really only just completed fully (garden, garage, driveway). I am going to redo one room because I rushed it and I hate it now. We didn't have the budget to rent a place while we renovated nor was my mums house big enough for all of us. In the end being in the house was an experience and being part of the renovation. BUT, and it is a huge but, it is so hard not being able to get away from it. Every night we were painting, scraping, tidying, etc. There was no respite. I longed to be able to sit on a sofa and just lounge about with no purpose you can't when there is always something to do. The house is always dirty and dusty and it gets everywhere! I can only imagine how much worse this would be if you have kids! They will want to play and explore in the renovation and the dirt and danger involved would be hell. I really did put a strain on our relationship. Not really badly, but it did get us both down.

I am really glad it's all over now and won't be repeating the exercise.

PS I am a pretty laid back soul who doesn't really bother much about clutter and inconvenience.


Which moderate Disney resort is the best?
Q. My family and I want to go to Disney World. Ther are 5 of us, but we are torn between the Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, or possibly staying offsite. Which of these hotels are your favorite, or is it better to stay off site? Thanks!

A. If I was staying at one of the moderate resorts on property, I would probably choose Coronado. I just really like the more lively atmosphere there. Huge grounds, lots of walkways for strolling around, nice pools, great theming. Otherwise, Port Orleans is very nice, both Riverside and French Quarter. They always seem a little more quiet and more intimate than Coronado, and their grounds are beautiful. You can't really go wrong with either of them. Caribbean Beach is a little more... I don't know, boring? It's very nice, all of Disney's resorts are, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Just a disclaimer, I haven't stayed at any of these particular resorts, but I've *been* to all of them several times. Yes, I go around to the Disney resorts just for fun on a regular basis. I swear, I'm not the only one who does this!

An offsite hotel is likely to be cheaper than a Disney hotel, depending on the hotel, of course. Most offsite hotels will also have a free breakfast, which you won't get at a Disney hotel. Still, if you're going with a hotel, I think Disney is your best bet. Staying on property has a lot of advantages, plus it's just nice to never have to leave. Even when you're done with the parks for the day, you're still at Disney, and I always liked that.

Can I throw out a third option you may not have though of? We usually go down to Disney (we live in PA) several times a year, and when we aren't staying in our own home in the area (which is undergoing extensive renovations right now, making it unusable) we always stay off-site in a vacation home, which, believe it or not, is much cheaper and nicer than staying in a hotel, either onsite or off. We were down there just last month, and stayed in two different vacation homes, and they were only $600 and $700 per week. During the busy times, it would be closer to $800-$900, but it would still be far cheaper than a moderate Disney resort (which run from the $170s-$190s per night for a standard room, depending on the time of year). The vacation homes we stay in are usually about 10-15 minutes from the parks, with easy access to I-4, are are generally around 1500-2000 square feet, with 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, full kitchen (pots, pans, silverware, etc... included), several TVs, wireless internet, and a private pool and screened porch in the backyard. One of the homes we stayed at last month had a gorgeous lake view right out the back door, with a massive screened porch and private pool, all for $600 per week. A single week at any of the moderate resorts would cost TWICE that, and all you'd for that price get is one little room.

If there are five of you, all that extra room would probably be really nice. You won't have to all be crammed into one little room. And there's another problem with staying at a hotel vs. a vacation home. All of the standard rooms at Disney's moderate resorts have a maximum occupancy of 4 people. This info is straight from Disney's website. So you'll either have to get two rooms, or sneak someone in. Our neighbors have a family of five (mom+dad+3 kids under 10), and when they stayed at one of the Disney All Star resorts a few years ago, they actually had to get TWO rooms. They weren't allowed to put 5 in one room. It really cost them a lot of money.

I know I sound like an advertisement for vacation homes, but I swear, I'm not! It's just that we stayed at hotels for YEARS, both on and off Disney property, before we found out how much cheaper vacation homes were, and how much more pleasant they made our trips, so I just want to tell everyone about it. :)

There ARE a few drawbacks to staying in a vacation home or off-site hotel vs. on Disney property. First, you have to pay for parking at Disney. That's $14, every day. I'm an annual passholder (which comes with free parking) so it's a non-issue for me, but it'll be a daily expense for your family. If you stay on Disney property, you take the free Disney transportation to and from the parks, so there's no parking required. Second, you have to drive to and from the parks in the morning and evening. If you stay onsite, you just wake up, go downstairs, and catch a Disney bus at your Disney hotel to take you wherever you want to go. We've stayed on property in the past, and that's very convenient. Three, there's a security deposit for vacation homes, usually $150-$200. If you don't damage anything, you get all of that money back after your stay. We've never had a problem and have always received our security deposits back. And four...well, I'm not going to lie, it's just really fun to stay on Disney property. :) Just more "magical" than staying at an offsite hotel or vacation home. But for half the price and 5 times the space and privacy at a vacation home, these were all minor issues we were more than happy to deal with.


Four bdrm house with a 5x6 bathroom.Want to covert 1 bdrm to large bathroom. Good idea for resale?
Q. I would like to convert one of the 4 bedrooms in a large bathroom with a tub. I want to use part of the old bathroom as a stand-up shower with entrance from the new bathroom as well as installing a stackable laundry in part of the old bathroom on the second floor. I do have a laundry in the basement. Just wondering if this would be a good idea from a resale value by taking out 1 bedroom and making it a 3 bedroom house or am I better converting 2 bedrooms in a large master bedroom?

A. Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. small bathrooms are harder to get around in and may deter some people from buying if they have mobility issues. You must weigh the cost of renovating compared to resale value. Bathrooms are one of the most expensive renovations you can do because of the plumbing and electrical, not to mention fixtures. Make sure your bathroom doesn't cost you money in the end when you sell. Why spend money to make the new owners more comfortable? If you renovate you will be able to attract a broader range of buyers. Older people with limited mobility, disabled people and even people with small kids want bigger bathrooms.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Has any one soundproofed their basement?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP