Monday, December 10, 2012

What did a typical bedroom look like in 1947?

Q. Wallpaper, curtains, furniture, ornaments and accessories, pictures on walls?

A. I would have been 3 then so around then I shared a bedroom with my sister and it was very plain, two kids beds, a stand for a lamp a throw rug in the center, toys in the corner. When I finally got my own room about 1951 and up to the time I left home what was in my bedroom was a bed with a chenille bedspread and the bed had hard wood dark colored headboard and four posts. I had a dressing table (one circular mirror and a table in front of it of dark hard ornate wood and a sitting stool). There was a lamp and table for that lamp with a door that opened and it had two shelves. I had a wall to wall wool rug that had large flowers on it. The window dressings were flouncy white see thru material with ruffles and tiebacks. There was a light (2 bulbs in it) with blue misted ornate covering in the center of the ceiling. That's all except that I had an angel picture I attached to the closet door and a picture of Jesus. Years later I had a simple wrought iron book stand.


How can I make my bedroom look more mature?
Q. I'm gonna be 16 in a few days and I keep thinking my bedroom looks really childish. How can I make it look more mature? My walls are light yellow and the furniture is cream with wood accents. I love the bedrooms in Pottery Barn (but not PB teens!)
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to buy new furniture or paint/wallpaper my walls...

A. It's not the wall color or the furniture - it's the accents. First check out some design magazines for ideas, then look into new fabrics for curtains, bedspreads and throw pillows. Put the kid clutter (your sentimental stuff) into storage bins or decorated boxes (you can make your own by covering lidded boxes with wallpaper or contact paper) and put a plant in your room. A throw rug and chair can create an "adult" sitting area in your room.


Quitting and trying to get rid of smoke smell, but I can't smell it?
Q. Before you tell me to quit smoking, well I am. However, I just stopped smoking about a week ago. I only smoked in my bedroom, and usually a good cleaning got rid of the smell for me. The problem is that probably due to my smoking, I can't really tell if it stinks or not. I know non-smokers can telll as soon as they walk in but I have no one to ask at the moment and I want to make sure it doesn't smell before my parents come to visit this weekend. I have 3 electrical air freshners that have been on for 2 days, cleaned and vaccumed with at least 3 different products but I think I might smell it because I'm on the patch and I feel sick after being in my room for too long. How to tell?

A. Make sure you wash all your bedding plus pillows. Also wash your curtains and you may have to wash down your walls and bedroom furniture and tv and nearly everything in your bedroom. Sorry but that`s what I had to do + the carpeting shampooed. Its a job but if you want to delete the cig smell this is what you have to do. Don`t kid yourself its traveled through your other part of the house too including your closet. I quit nearly 1 year ago and really had a cleaning job on my hands. Good Luck to you and congrats! on quitting...Keep your windows open and if you have a room purifier run that too it helps and febreeze is good!!!!


how can i turn my garage into my bedroom?
Q. i need help im turning my garage into my bedroom and i cant do anything fancy because im still a kid so i need tips.my garage is soooooooooo dark and scary and it has a lot of things that we cant get rid of and we dont know where to put them in so help!

A. I agree with storing the items that need to stay in the garage behind either a wall divider or putting up curtains or drapes to hide those items (can help to lighten up the room). Make sure the garage door has a seal around it (keep cooler in summer, warmer in winter). Curtains hung across the garage door will hide the fact it is a garage but they need to clear the door when opened, in case access to the garage is needed. Carpeting or room size rug is a must - it creates warmth and a cozy atmosphere.

The finished walls should be painted a light color to brighten up the space. You do not mention whether or not there are any windows. I would have sheers to let in light but have a shade for privacy that can be opened and closed as needed. Is there an overhead light fixture? That is something inexpensive for the family to replace and create a warmer atmosphere.

I would put the bed against the wall connected to the house. Make sure there is a lamp for reading (three-way gives you variety of lighting) Draw up a floor plan and show it to your family. They may be able to offer suggestions for the final result.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What did a typical bedroom look like in 1947?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP