Sunday, January 20, 2013

How much does a big house in Canada cost?

Q.

A. Housing costs will be extremely different depending on where it is located. Here is an example:

I found a detached house in Vancouver. It has two bedrooms, 1 bath, and only 1100 square feet of floorspace, on a plot of land that is about 25 feet wide by 100 feet deep. They want $500K for it!
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12069498&PidKey=-294214748

On the other hand, when I looked for a house in New Brunswick, I found a place for the same price ($500K) that has three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, has almost 2500 square feet of floorspace, and is sitting on 26 acres of land on Grand Manan Islands with a breathtaking view of the Bay of Fundy and the Atlantic Ocean.
http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=12105015&PidKey=-1679475520

You can find houses in Canada in smaller towns outside major cities that are big and still cost you less than $200K. On the other hand, if you want to live in a big city and do not want to live in a condominium complex, and want a nice backyard for kids to play in, you will have to pay a bigger price. Cities like Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, or Calgary you will expect to pay well over $350K in most cases.

It all depends on the size you are looking for and location, location, location!


I currently live in Phoenix. My husband I and I really want a change.?
Q. We have 2 daughters. Would Portland, Oregon (the outskirts) or Seattle, Wa (the outskirts) be a better place to live and raise a family? If so...you have an suggestions on a city or town?

A. I've never lived in Seattle, because it is far too expensive. I
have visited a few times. Recently I learned from a woman
who moved from there to San Jose, that Seattle was way too
expensive. And luckily her husband found a better paying job
in the Silicon Valley, near San Jose.
I have lived in Phoenix, a few times, and I'm familiar with the
rent averages. We moved from Portland to Phoenix and back
a few times. Basically, it was the heat that would drive us
back. The rent in Portland, is comparable to Phoenix. Prices
for food were cheaper in Phoenix than in Portland. But that
was then, and now everyone is feeling a crunch at the check-
stand.
I would recommend Vancouver, Washington, just across the
river from Portland. It's more like a bedroom community or
suburb of Portland. Apartment rentals are just a little bit cheaper than on the Portland side. Gas is a tad higher on the
Vancouver side now. And it used to be, Portland was higher
a few years ago. The area is among tall fir trees and it's a
laid back community. There is only one large mall with major
dept. stores. But there are other shopping areas besides.
What is lacking in Vancouver, you can find in the Portland/
Beaverton areas. We haven't had to leave Vancouver in
years tho, as everything is right here in Vancouver. It is a
good place to raise children. We raised our kids here for
several years. We were renting a house then, so the kids
could have a yard and walk to school. Whereas when you
rent an apartment, you have to bus the kids usually, or take
them yourself. Besides the forests here, there are the rivers and the beaches that are wonderful. Tho the water is always colder than in California, being it's further north I suppose. We seem to have all of the major chain stores up here, including the fast foods.There is a local chain for Mexican food that is very good, called, Muchas Gracias. They have two in Vancouver alone. Hazel Dell, is a community north of Vancouver where rents are on par with Vancouver. Tho rents may be a little cheaper still.
There is a state tax in Washington. But in Oregon there is
not. Many people shop on the Oregon side to avoid the tax.
This is an area known for its' fresh air, but the downside is
that their is much more rain than Phoenix has year round. But
there isn't the high humidity factor here, like down there either. I got heat stroke twice from the heat. And the last time I had to leave, during monsoon weather when it was at its' worst.
I didn't realize until we crossed into Oregon how green it is
and how dry and barren California is by comparison. The
further north you drive, the more dense the trees and the
greenery. And you really feel that you've arrived in Gods'
Country, as it's so awesome. Just make sure you bring warm
clothes as our spring is late this year, and summer will be
short if this is any indication.


Moving to Bellingham, Washington what to do? Suggestions?
Q. Me and the Family are relocating to Bellingham,Washington. My Husband and my 13mt old son. We are a young couple, that needs suggestions. WHERE TO LIVE? WHAT TO DO? CHILDCARE? NIGHTLIFE? ETHNIC DIVERSITY?? LET ME KNOW.

A. Hi, I live in Bellingham. Home prices in Bellingham are higher than neighboring cities like Ferndale, Lynden, and Blaine, but you can find a decent 3 bedroom place for under $300k. As far as what to do - we are located near Mt. Baker, Lake Whatcom, and the Puget Sound, so if you're into the outdoors, this is a great place. Childcare - there are several affordable day care places such as YMCA, Kid's World, and others. Being a college town, there is no shortage of nightlife - there are several bars downtown that cater to the college crowd and beyond. It's a great place to live, and not far from either Seattle or Vancouver, B.C. if you miss the big city life!


What is life like in Seattle?
Q. I may want to relocate there after Graduate school, and I am curious to know what life is like there

A. I was born here and just moved back about three months ago after 1 year in SF, 5 years in LA, and before that, all my teen years in Boston.

Traffic isn't bad no matter what anyone tells you. Seattlites will tell you the traffic is horrible but during rush hour, it takes me 20 minutes on the freeway to get from my place in Maple Leaf (an area in North Seattle) to Downtown - not a big deal at all! Between rush hours or on weekends it's about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace.

It's a very green city, figuratively and literally. It's clean, and because of the rain and the population's general appreciation for the environment, there are TONS of parks and places to go. There are some great areas like the Pike Place Market, International District, Seattle Center, and various areas all around that make the place a lot of fun. The parks here are HUGE, too - I've been to Discovery Park probably five or six times and haven't covered it all yet.

The neighborhoods all have a lot of character and are quite pretty. People are generally friendly; I haven't met anyone here who's ticked me off in three months which is a nice departure from the last few places I've been.

Now, that said, here are my observations of the place thus far...

-Though the cost of living here is lower than in LA or SF (I'm paying $1075 for a HUGE, newly remodeled two bedroom with hardwood floors in a nice neighborhood), the pay in Seattle SUCKS ROYAL DICK compared to other cities! I couldn't believe it: the pay is SO low relative to cities in CA and MA, and for that matter bigger cities in Texas or up in Vancouver, BC that it ends up being a bit of a wash. I work in medicine, but had considered going back to working a hotel job when I moved up here since I want to pursue a better certification in my field, but found that while hotels in SF pay on average $17.50-20/hr; in LA pay $15/hr; in Seattle, they pay $9-11. That's horrid. For that matter, an RN in SF would make about $35-50 an hour, and an LPN would make $20-25; here, an RN makes $20-25, and an LPN makes *$9.* Add to that, restaurants here cost about 50% more than in SF or LA; probably due to market saturation down there but in any case, it means that if I want to eat Indian here, I have to pay $11 for a vegetarian entree. Pad Thai is $9/plate while down south it's $6.50. Groceries cost more on average, too, so at the end of the day your cheaper rent and gas is a wash because of your general living expenses.

-The dating scene here sucks, I'm sorry. I've been out to a couple bars and clubs and the women here are nowhere near as attractive as any of the other cities I've lived in, which is shocking since there are more women of mixed ethnicity here per capita than any other city in the US. I'm not a sleazy LA club dude by any stretch, and was generally put under the "indie" bracket by all my peers, but people here don't take care of their appearance like people elsewhere do - they're often in good shape (though that's not always true either) but they dress like they don't care.

-The city closes early. When I was a kid, there were late night places everywhere, but as I've been told by lifers here, over the last decade as people moved from other parts of the US to work in the tech business and were wooed by the bohemian, artsy, hip nature of many areas, they've completely killed off the character that made a lot of those very same people want to move to those areas. If I leave the hospital at 10, I can basically hit the tavern near my place (no thanks) or a supermarket (WOOHOO). I've been out Friday and Saturday a few times and the nightlife is unenthusing.

-The indie/environmentalist/hipper-than-thou attitude is worse here than it was in San Francisco, and that's saying something. People here can get a serious chip on their shoulder about how green they are and how cruelty-free their coffee is, especially with 20-somethings. Because of this, I've found substantially fewer people whom I want to be friends with here than I did in SF or LA - and I really didn't like LA at all.

-Drive a few precious minutes outside Seattle - north to Lynnwood or Everett, or south to Tukwila or Auburn - and the palces have almost nothing to do with what draws people to Seattle. Conservative republicans and libertarians who don't like Seattle because it's "gay" and "liberal." I drove out to see a family member who lives in Federal Way and got all sorts of nasty looks because I'm a white dude in a convertible with an Asian girl. Didn't have to get out and say hi to anyone - just pumping gas and going to the store, people were giving me snotty looks as they went by. I get the feeling I'll probably spend something like 98% of my years here in Seattle proper because the rest of it makes me feel unwelcome.

So, overall, while Seattle is a nice place - and a GREAT place to raise a family in many regards - I don't think I'll be staying here after I'm done with school. I don't k





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much does a big house in Canada cost?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP