Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How did you become (financially)independent from your parents? And at what age?

Q. I love my parents, but I need a job a car and an apartment to move out ASAP. I'm a college student and I'm wondering which kind of job I can get to be able to sustain myself, and which car options are most inexpensive, and how I can get the cheapest living space.

But I'm wondering how other people did it and at what age so that I can have an idea of what my options are :)

Thanks!

A. I was 18. I had worked since 14, and had saved up a ton of money. At 17, I got a job at CVS that paid a little more, and I worked like 30 a hours a week while in school, I graduated a month later. I moved out the week after I was 18, however I was a foster kid, I had no choice really, but was excited for this.

In college, that next fall I got promoted and earned 11/hr while working, I had a 1 bedroom apt for 600 a month. It was tough to find someone to even rent to me as I was so young, but I found someone on the 5th try. I had to work 40 hours a week to keep my health insurance and to be able to afford living on my own, and I had to take atleast 12 credit hours a semester to keep my Pell Grant. It was tough but doable. I didn't hve the cable, the smart phone, I only had rent, electricity, car insurance, cell phone, then food and supplies. I went to school from 8-12ish then work from 2:10:30pm, after that I would study some & go to bed. I worked Mon-Fri so on Sat and Sun were full days to rest, work on long term projects, even party some.

The biggest expenses were at the beginning, it was outrageous, expect to have ATLEAST 5-7 grand saved before you do this. This is the most important part.
When I moved out I spend 1800 on first rent and security
-2000-2500 on all furniture (living room set, mattress, kitchen tsable/chairs, bed, coffee table,lamp, etc etc) 2500 is extremely cheap for this, I got good deals. Do not buy used if there is not a hard surface- bed bugs are terrible
-1000 on household supplies( towels, bedding, silverware, cups, pots, pans, blender, microwave, etc etc)
-500-600 on first grocery trip as you need everything on top of the regular stuff (think things that last long- mustard, ketchup, foil, ceran, sugar, salt, etc, you're starting as a blank slate)


How do I fix thumb tack holes?
Q. I'm planning to paint my bedroom a new color besides white so it can be new and clean again. My problem is I have dozens of little thumb tack holes from using it to hold pictures, posters, and many other items. I also have tape marks so is it okay to paint over the tape marks too or do I have to clean it a certain way? I've heard you can use white toothpaste for the holes, spackle, or wood putty, ect.. what do you recommend? Can you also give me tips on painting, redoing my room, ect?? Thanks a bunch (:

A. You'd buy a small container of "spackle" at Home Depot for a few dollars. Why would you be using tacks (nails) anyway when you should be using tape on everything and that tape should be a tiny piece of painters tape rolled into a circle so both sides would be sticky and hold your picture with maybe 4 pieces (one on each corner). The only thing that's left from painters tape is a little bit of glue which is ok to be painted over. Haha...sure people use white toothpaste but it doesn't set up, some use gum which for larger holes would become hard and not stick to the sides properly, wood putty is only for wood. I suppose people are cheap so they use what they have on hand, doesn't mean that's what's best to use on it.

Roller paint your room and keep it white. We used to have semi-gloss back home but apartments use some kind of latex. Both semi-gloss and latex you can wipe off marks easier for like if there are kids around. After a few years latex tends to curl up and break away like down at the baseboard level. Ok so put on a colorful bedspread that matches the curtains. Keep furniture to a minimum.


How much is the rent for a 2 bedroom 1 bath home where you live? Average cost?
Q. All over the world please? Please Include country, state, and city. Maybe let us know if this is a really nice place or rundown hole in the wall or in between!! Thanks!!

A. Morristown,Tn (little north of Knoxville).
3br2ba is 400 a month for an apartment, 600 a month for a house. I haven't checked out any 2br1ba places, but they'd be a little cheaper.

I bought my house on an acre of land right near the lake for 99,900 total. It's very cheap here. Not a lot of work other than office, medical, or factory work. Wages are a little low, but it's so cheap it balances out. Town is only 26,000 people....so there isn't a ton here. Theres 2 hospitals, a mall, 2 movie theaters, standard fast food, some good restaurants, tons of open land. It's a country setting. Some people drive into Knox for work and shopping it's less than 1 hour away. It's absolutely gorgeous here. We're 40 miles off the Smokies, very pretty. It get's hot an humid during the summer, and cold in the winter. All 4 seasons here. Spring and Fall of course are the prettiest. We moved here from Vegas back in 04, we miss some stuff about the big city, but we like it here. My husbands making good money at a factory here, so I get to stay at home with the kids which is nice.

As for nice/hole in the wall/in-between. I guess it's in-between here. The scenery is amazing, everything else is so-so. It's definitely a place you could make a nice life without a ton of money!


I need pink and brown bedding for teens that are kinda cheap?
Q. my daughter is redoing her bedroom as a christmas present and found one very cute comforter that got terrible reviews so is now looking for another but is not having any luck. Preferably in stores but i will look at online.

A. See if you like any of these:
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=60551&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1639f98&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59488&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=42&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=59474|59488|60551
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6043547
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10890413
http://www.target.com/Xhilaration-Floral-Comforter-Set-Brown/dp/B001NHUOKK/qid=1247674177/ref=br_1_12/185-7700703-0023904?ie=UTF8&node=14122141&search-alias=&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=14122141&rank=salesrank&rh=&page=1
http://www.nextag.com/NO-JO-RED-CALLIOPE-574536041/prices-html
http://www.beyond-bedding.com/pink-brown-polka-dot-kids-childrens-girl-twin-size-kids-bedding-set.html?productid=pink-brown-polka-dot-kids-childrens-girl-twin-size-kids-bedding-set&channelid=NEXTA
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/185-7700703-0023904?asin=B001VIR5JY&AFID=Nextag_DF&LNM=More_Categories|Home_%20_Garden|B001VIR5JY&CPNG=home&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001
http://www.beyond-bedding.com/animal-cheetah-pink-girl-full-queen-teen-bedding-set.html?productid=animal-cheetah-pink-girl-full-queen-teen-bedding-set&channelid=NEXTA
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=60551&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1428c10&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59488&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=29&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=59474|59488|60551
http://www.johnlewis.com/230466330/Product.aspx?source=22564
I like the surf floral from Walmart best.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How did you become (financially)independent from your parents? And at what age?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP