Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What are some good ideas for an Orlando vacation? I have 2 kids (ages 9 and 7).?

Q. We've never been to Orlando before but are looking at visiting for a week or so in June. I know about the theme parks in Orlando and about some other attractions, but does anybody have any good information on ideas where to take 2 boys, ages 9 and 7? Also looking for any good tips on lodging...if you have any idea about homeowners who rent out apartments on a weekly basis, I'd be grateful for any information you can share.

A. WDW (Walt Disney World) consists of 47-sq. miles, larger than most cities. Just doing its 4-major parks will encompass almost your entire stay, especially considering the summer crowds. You won't have much time for ancillary activities, plus it'll be difficult to even squeeze in Seaworld, Universal, or IOA (Islands of Adventure). Fortunately, you're considering a week's stay, you'll need every bit of it. The 1st challenge is to decide on where you want your vacation to center around. If you're considering a WDW vacation, then here are just a few suggestions, especially for young boys, outside its major parks...

> Water parks: Disney has 2. Typhoon Lagoon is better suited for them. It'll be hot, and kids are all about the water. Purchase passes to include a water park option. This will be cheaper than buying passes separately.

> Dinner shows: Medieval Times, in Kissimmee. Again, your boys will gravitate to this more so than the more "romantic" Arabian Nights, or the corny Hoop-Dee-Do, etc.

> Downtown Disney: Good to kill a few hrs and stroll around for free. Shops, restaurants, some activities. Disney Quest is an interactive arcade, not cheap, but it has interactive games/simulators that cannot be duplicated @ home (there's even classic games in their original arcade format for Mom & Dad).

> WDW's Ft. Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge outdoor activities: The Fort is the campground. The Lodge is the lodge. Both resorts offer outdoor activities (e.g. Fishing, Jet-Skiing, horsebacking, etc.) for a fee of course.

> Gatorland, Orlando: Perfect 1/2-day attraction. Affordable. It's not exactly a "refined" attraction, but that's part of the appeal. The largest gators in captivity are there. Enough shows, swamp walk, gator nuggets, and other animals to keep the boys interested. They can take a picture holding a real gator (don't worry, only like a 3-footer w/jaws taped). You can also opt for a package that includes an airboat tour @ East Lake Toho.

> I-Drive (International Drive, Orlando): I-Drive is the #2 resort destination in Central FL. It's tourist-central on steroids. If you won't be driving, you can always board the I-Ride Trolley along it's 7-mile route. Simply get off to do the outlets, restaurants, or smaller attractions (e.g. Ripley's, Wonder Works, Titantic, etc.). Even the largest McDonald's in the world is there.

.........................

Lodging:

Advise that you do not rent from any individual directly. Bona-fide vacation home rentals are typically done via professional property mgmt companies.

Most Disney experts will advise that you stay on Disney property. Sounds like you're looking for accommodations that have good size, full kitchen, separate bedrooms, etc. Here's my #1 recommendation for your particular group...

...Disney's Ft. Wilderness: You get everything that I just mentioned, plus...
> Rustic setting.
> Log home style.
> Extra Magic Hours.
> Free transportation from/to OIA (Orl International Airport).
> Free transportation w/in WDW (no need to rent, no parking fees, no worries).
> Overall, the Disney "Magic".

Yes, you can always rent a villa/condo/time-share/home, etc., outside of Disney, for considerably less. However, make sure you factor in the extra cost of renting a car, parking, gas, commute times, loss of certain perks, and overall inconvenience. Don't get me wrong, plenty of people are very happy staying outside of Disney. The choice is yours, but I normally advise Disney "rookies" to stay on property.


How can i keep my dog entertained throughout the day while no one is home?
Q. she is a golden retriever and its HOT

A. First of all I hope she is totally house broken and house safe to be left alone all day. Depending on her age, temperment and maturity. I wuld never, never crate a dog all day. I have heard of some that do. You need to leave her gradually trying being alone, say starting with 2 hours, then half a day before moving up to all day. Get her or him used to being alone. Some dogs have separation issues. Also how long is all day. It could be anywhere from 8 hours to 12. I know I would hate going 12 hours without a bathroom break.

I would not let the dog have total access to the whole house. If you can you could gate off say the parts of the house without carpet say like the kitchen and hall. I would definately close off all the bedrooms. If you had a basement that might even be a great option. I would child proof the house and make sure there was nothing that the dog might be tempted to get into. Like medicine or the all welcoming trash-can. Also you should get some toddler cabinate locks to keep the dog out of cleaners you may have under your sinks like in the kitchen. It would be really sad to have an accident like a poisening while you are out or at work. Dogs are like small kids they can get into anything. I am at home all day practicully and my Lab is still mouthy and I caught her more than once with a plastic razor she got out of the bathroom. I would just keep the bathrrom doors closed anyway.

You of course need to leave water (I love the ice idea for in the summer, my dog actually loves to eat ice), but I would not feed a dog and then expect them to go all day without a walk. Although I wouldn't leave food down that he could eat on freely I do recommend a "Kong". Most dogs love them. You can put a couple table spoons of Peanut butter in them. This should be used only as a I am going to be alone and this is a grest treat I get when I am alone. They feel like they are being awarded something for being alone. It really occupies them for a long time. The dog might play with it trying to get the Peanut butter out, get bored with it but later go back after it.


I really like the TV being left on. If you get animal planet that's my dogs favorite channel. Plus I think having the sound of voices helps. I would leave only a few of the dogs favorite toys out so you can rotate them so they don't get boring.


I know this might sound crazy but I actually isn't. If you have an answering how about a call in the middle of the day? The dog gets to hear your voice and you can say stuff like be a good dog and stuff. I will go you one better. I saw where they have these programs that you can actually set up computer cams to check on your kids though the day, well they can also be used for your pets as well. If you have access to a computer you can pop in the web cam site any time to see if your dog is OK.

Another thing you could do for the TV thing is make your own movie for the dog starring you. The sky is the limit on the themes and things you could do with that.

At last there is the hire a walker or doggy friend to come by mid day to walk and play with the dog. They get them outside and exercise them for at least an hour a day. If you know a trusted friend or a trust worth teenager that would be great. You don't always have to hire a professional. If you find your dog absolutely hates being alone or can't handle it you could possibly find a doggie daycare for while your at work. Now this also could be done by a neighbor as well. Or how about finding someone else that might want to trade of with their doggie baby sitting needs. Or you could offer help to them say with a need they might be willing to trade with you. Like I check on your dog in the middle of the day and you mow my grass. I am a stay at home mom and I can say I would rather baby sit a dog over a kid anyday. I hope this helps and no one thinks I am too nutty. Evita


Question for moms and dads who work full time?
Q. Do you ever have days where you have no energy left? Do you ever just want to sit on the couch and let your little one play with toys or watch TV?

I work 8 to 4 and some nights I don't feel like doing anything. I feel like I'm a bad mom when I don't have energy to play or read 5 books to my son. Quitting my job is not an option right now.

A. Letting your child play independently is a growing experience for him. It teaches him self motivation. If he is bored, he will find another toy. You do not have to hand him a new toy, or structure every minute of his playtime.

You will be glad, in the long run, that you allowed him to learn to play independently, it makes for a kid who is independent, who knows to go find his school supplies and do his homework, who knows he needs to go play outside, makes the choice to do so, and does it. Makes for a kid that does not need Mom right there to nag and nag. My Mom went back to school when I was 6, and got a job. Unheard of in that age and time, she was the only working Mom in our entire neighborhood. I already knew how to play by myself, my parents after about age 3 did not play with me anymore, but this would have forced the issue.

My Mom taught me to read at a very early age, long before kindergarten. I was reading the local newspaper at age 4, and not just the funnies, either. My parents gave me the skills to read, gave me a quiet environment to read in, set the example that reading the paper was what we do in the evening, as well as having a family dinner and watching the news, and turned me loose. But this did have one bad side, it put me in competition to get at the newspaper, my parents had to share it!

And the skills they give me are still with me. I love to read! Love, love it! I always have a book open, waiting for me to take time out and read. In third grade, I was reading novels and biographies mysteries, things on the best seller list. So was my Mom. She got tired of dragging me weekly to the library and the Bookmobile, getting her 10 or so books for herself for the week, and having to pretend the other ten were for herself and not for me, goodness forbid a 3rd grader was reading books that adults read! She talked the Book Mobile lady into giving me an adult library card. And know that romance novels back in the 1960s were squeaky clean, it was just assumed by the reader that Olivia and Bradford ended up in the bedroom after that kiss. No more "Susie and the Ballet Horse", and "The Hardy boys" for Rivers! And off the subject, but my parents never limited what I could read, The Grapes of Wrath, the Naked Ape, Portnoy's Complaint, all read in high school, and two of those actually purchased by Mom. She believed in an uncensored education. Mom, though she did not know it herself then, was a suffragette, believing that women could be intellectuals, hold down professional jobs, and thus be independent and not needing a man, long before the woman's movement of the 1960s. She would have laughed at that, and told us that she would not have been burning her bra anyway, since she really did not need to wear one. Mom in her later years was skinny, the use of a bra was to demonstrate morality and modesty, not hold anything up.
You could believe that your son can learn the skills to entertain himself now, and learn things independently of you later. A self-motivated young adult gets a scholarship, goes to college, and gets a profession. A non-self motivated young adult sits around the house and smokes weed and lets his Mom cook and clean for him.

So, want your kid to read at a college level in the 2nd grade? Don't wait for your school system to teach him, mine did, but that was the 1960s. Buy books, use the public library, help him to read, use what time you have to share books with him. Empower him to go pick out his own books, and sit and quietly read them. Make books available to him, and sit down and read one yourself, or at least thumb through a magazine. Set the example. Free him for an independent life, away from you. His teachers will thank you, too. Do themes. for example, take him to the zoo, talk to him about the animals. See which one he thinks is neat. Buy him a book about it. My parents used their vacation every year to drag me all over the USA to see the sites. We toured manufacturing plants, attended nature lectures, and soaked up every little bit of knowledge available on our trips.

Don't feel guilty about being tired, kids understand way more than we think they do. Use your non-tired time to enrich his intellect. And do not feel guilty about the TV, just find shows and programs that enrich him! Pop a movie in the VCR. Research some old disney TV and movie programs. Davy Crocket TV shows are still available. What a role model, carved his life out of the wilderness!

good luck!


Whats a good theme for a baby boy?
Q. The fun part is finally here! I should say "A fun part" I've actually really enjoyed my pregnancy! I had my 20 week ultrasound yesterday and Im so happy to have a boy! Just want some ideas on how to decorate for him. I was thinking a sea theme but Im not in love with that idea. Any suggestions?

A. Can't go wrong with a jungle. A baby one with lots of block colours will give him plenty to look at during the day when it's nice and bright. You could have a look at the wall stickers on amazon, they have tons of baby/toddler/kid bedroom decor. You could paint the walls a pale yellow or blue and a big block of green along the bottom of the walls (maybe with some flicks going up to show it's grass) and then stick some trees and jungles animals around.

Something like these (amazon links)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friendly-Decor-Childrens-REUSABLE-Stickers/dp/B007D7XPNW/ref=sr_1_95?ie=UTF8&qid=1335475714&sr=8-95

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decowall-Stickers-Decoration-wall-stickers-transfers/dp/B002ZVR212/ref=sr_1_189?ie=UTF8&qid=1335476108&sr=8-189

http://www.amazon.co.uk/butterfly-Children-Nursery-Stickers-Mural-White/dp/B006T7C4MA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1335474572&sr=8-12

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RoomMates-Repositionable-Childrens-Stickers-Adventure/dp/B0013RE69K/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1336606542&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Wall-Sticker-children-bedroom/dp/B007HR9VY0/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1336606542&sr=1-6

Those are just a few examples. There are LOADS more different ones to choose from. I just typed in baby bedroom stickers and these are some of the ones that showed up.
Good luck and I hope I helped





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are some good ideas for an Orlando vacation? I have 2 kids (ages 9 and 7).?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP