Monday, December 17, 2012

What are peoples main problems when living in an apartment?

Q.

A. No garden for the self.
Not being able to stop heat loss to higher up apartments, as there is no loft to insulate.
Noise from neighbours, including toilet flushing.
Risk of being trapped by fire caused by a neighbour.
Risk of being flooded by someone outside your family (ie. upstairs).
Drains being blocked by neighbours.
Rubbish/trash left in stairways.
Other people leaving access door wedged open, so compromising security.
People urinating in stairways, lifts and corridors.
Not having the simple luxury of being able to go upstairs to bed.
Constant untidy communal rubbish/trash area, which attracts vermin.
Not being able to collect rainwater.
Not being able to install a small wind turbine which could power all the lighting so save money.
Not able to have a real indoor fire to heat the place.
Not able to store grey-water to water the garden which does not exist.
High crime and drug/alcohol rates associated with apartment blocks.
Being classed as scum by many people because you live in a poor area.
It is sometimes harder to find employment when you live in an area of tower blocks, due to bad publicity of said areas.
High risk of being a victim of gang crime.
Lack of personal space.
Lack of nature when leaving the building.
Difficulty of feeding birds and other animals, or just watching them from the window.
Many apartments have coin operated electric meters, which can be so annoying trying to find the change to prevent a power cut.
They are totally unacceptable places to raise children.
Children raised in apartments have a high risk of being involved in crime, gangs and substance abuse. They also grow up not knowing a better way to live, so often raise their own kids in similar places.

In response to an email received from the questioner, about accommodation for a rising human population:

I'm not really sure if I would be a good subject matter as I no longer live in an apartment. I now live in a tent most of the year, occasionally at peoples houses when I am helping them convert to alternative energy and lifestyles.
I will answer what you asked in your message to me as though I am still in an apartment. It was 7 years ago, in Preston, UK, just outside the city center in an area known as Avenham. The apartment, we call them flats, was high rise of about 20 floors, and 16 flats on each floor. There were about 15 of these high rise buildings, all the flats the same size and layout. It had 1 bedroom, 1 living/dining room, small kitchen bathroom and inter-joining hallway. the living room/bedroom both measured no more than 12 foot square, kitchen a quarter of that. Space for moving comfortably was a problem. The main problems I gave in my answer, anything else are really minor matters.

Am I to assume that as part of your uni project you are to design multi-person building accommodation? If you let me know what your project is, I might be able to help further. Let me know. I hope this is of some use to you.
The problem which appears to be the problem is the lack of space part. We do not have a lack of space, only a lack of ideas on how to use the space that we have. We know that social problems exist in association with apartment blocks, so we need to think about either eliminating those problems or different building styles.
I am going to assume that you have watched the film, "the lord of the rings", which showed hobbits living in the hillside. The houses they lived in would have been heat retentive and could be large, at the same time using land that we would normally consider unsuitable for building on. The problem with making accommodation such as these would be the cost, but they could be built relatively cheaply, if only we would make a tunnelling machine that had pivoted tracks so that it could manoeuvre on the hillside which would re-enforce the "tunnels" as it digs. One hill that was only suitable for twenty sheep, could easily be converted into spacious living accommodation for over 100 families, each of them have a garden, by using the stagger and tier systems.
Again, if we look at another possibility, would could easily have whole communities of people living in woodland tree houses, rent free, in exchange for managing the forests.

However, the social problems associated with apartments, are not solely because of the apartments, more of the case being that many people with problems end up in such places.
Some people would also prefer to live outside of today's society lifestyle, and these could be used to help upkeep and manage the wilderness.
There is also the possibility of people living on barges on canals, giving them the ability to move their house literally to where work was needed.
There are plenty of ideas already out there, it is us, as society on the whole, that just needs to accept that these things are not necessarily "backwards" and in many cases, are a step forwards in the standards of living.
Just think, if you lived in a hillside, in a wide tunnel shaped house that you did not need to heat often and could easily grow much of you food on it's soil "roof". Do you think you would be better or worse off for doing so?
We don't need to stuff people to live on each others toes, we just need to think differently from what we currently accept to be normal. The crazy thing is, this normal that we now live, is not really good for our world, it's environment, the animals, or us. Society on the whole could easily be alike a god, in that it can do almost anything if it wanted to. The question is, do we as individuals want to live in concrete city, separated from nature, or with it? We can do either, but only one will allow us to be truly happy and at peace with the world. Smart thinking is all it takes...

Apologies to all for it being so long...


Design websites online for free and no download?
Q. I'm getting a new house and i need some ideas for a bedroom design and colors that go well together.
I want a designing website that isn't for kids!!
on hgtv.com a show called hidden potential has that like 3D design layouts. Is there something like that i could use that's pretty simple and doesnt require downloading or paying?
thank you for your time.

A. Design House Plan Online:

http://www.smallblueprinter.com/sbp.html
http://architectstudio3d.org/AS3d/design_studio3d.html

Google SketchUp (You can use Google SketchUp to create, modify and share 3D models. Software) - http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/

This is correct link to Floor Planner where you can make your own plan AND save it -

Floor Planner: http://www.floorplanner.com/start

Ron


about how much will this raise the value....?
Q. if you had to guess, how much do you thing new siding,windows,electrical(not a whole re-wire, just some outlets and a new junction box)new paint throughout the house and new carpeting and flooring throughout the house....how much would you think would raise the value of my home. the home is in northern wisconsin.i know you prolly wont be able to give me an exact answer, so any ball-park idea would be appreciated.
oh yea sorry i meant the new circuit breaker...

A. I think it would depend.

We looked at a house (we're in Alberta, Canada) for $250 000. The guy that bought it totally redid it. Tile flooring, new paint job, new carpet, bathroom looked really nice, laminate in the kitchen, etc. HOWEVER I thought we were going to fall through the living room floor, the bathroom I wouldn't have been able to bathe our kids in (less than a foot of room beside the tub), the wall in the dining room was crooked, the laminate in the dining room went one direction, in the kitchen it went another, and the basement ceiling was so low that I felt claustrophobic (I'm only 5'4).

The house we're living in is 100 years old but feels sturdy. It had 5 bedrooms (we just demoed one yesterday) and a huge living room. We don't care that there's no renos that have been done, its a sturdy solid home that'll last us (its on a double corner lot too, with a HUGE garage).

If you have a good solid home with a nice layout and nothing to hid then the above renos you mentioned couldn't hurt. Just remember to not decorate for your style...you could redo the siding the way you like it but other people will hate it and want to change it anyways.

What I would do...give the house a really good clean...if the carpeting isn't beyond disgusting, give it a good shampoo and get an area rug to cover the main area. Paint the walls a good neutral color, hang some pictures, and let the sun shine in. Invest in things like nice towels, a picture, and a shower curtain for your bathroom, new bedspread and such for your bedroom, and curtains for your living room, and maybe even new hardware for your kitchen cupboards.

Watch TLC...you can get a lot of good ideas from those shows!


We are moving to the San Diego area. Work will be near miramar. We are torn between Rancho Bernardo and Poway?
Q. Have small children.

A. If you have small children I think you are asking the wrong question. I live in Rancho Penasquitos which is by both RB and Poway.

The question you should be asking is "What school do I want my kids to go to?"

Rancho Bernardo and Poway are in the same school district. I belong to a Moms Club that in includes the entire Poway Unified School District including RB, PQ (Rancho Penasquitos) and Poway.

The question I think you should be comparing schools to schools. Lots of people have answered this question only to leave you with a vague idea of the area differences. That doesn't seem to really help.

There are OUTSTANDING schools in each place. You need to find those schools. It is in my opinion a great school district. In fact it is the best one we can afford. My son's school is in the top 10 percent in the state along with caring teachers, a great curriclum and lots of support. I AM VERY PLEASED.

Everything else doesn't matter. People in Poway and RB go to the same malls, parks, movie theaters, Targets, ect. The two really are sister cities. I focus on the individual neighborhoods.

Where are the parks? How close am to shopping? How does the neighborhood look?

I hang with Moms from both places. It is really fluid.

This is what I would do.

1) Find out if you are buying, renting,(a house) or getting an apartment.

My two cents: I bought a house less then 2 years ago, put $160,000 down and now my house is worth about $100,000 less then what I paid for it. And I thought I bought at the bottom. My friends rent houses in the same neighborhood for about a thousand dollars less per month then my mortgage. Personally I wished I had rented.

2. Physically get used to the layout of the district.
Where is RB in relation to Poway? What side of town where we thinking of looking at?

http://www.powayusd.com/Maps/

3. Get the addresses of the places you are thinking about. If it is apartments. Call the apartments and get the address. The same with rental houses.

http://www.powayusd.com/Depts/bss/planning/addresslookup.asp



4. Research each school.

The district puts out report cards on each school. Compare test scores. How the staff describe their school? What is their mission statement?


http://www.powayusd.com/schools/sarc-reports.shtml


Then you can look up just about anything on Great Schools. Ethnic makeup (if you are interested in that sort of thing, personally the kids are my kids school can be purple for all I care as long as it is a good school) , free lunches, test scores are easily compared. ect. Each school is also given a rating.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/ca/district_profile/699

Now maybe I have jumped the gun a bit. Maybe you don't have addresses yet or anything like that.

But when I was with my realtor I looked in RB, PQ, and Poway. I figured out my price range. Then I had my realtor show me houses in the range. I had a book with the school info in it and when we pulled up to an address I had all the school info. I looked at all different things too. For us a backyard was really important and we didn't want a busy street. For one of my friends who mother in law visits from another country a 4th bedroom was a must. It just depends what matters to you.

It really doesn't take that long. And I think it is fun to do just like it is great to look at apartments or houses and imagine your new life there.

Good Luck. I hope that helped. I ended putting a bid on a house in RB which I didn't get and I really really looked at one in Poway before buying mine in PQ.


Find the area you like

Make sure the schools are great (there were some areas I did not look at because of the schools. They weren't bad but if I was going to spend my whole live saving I wanted to get my moneys worth)

Find the house ( or apartment) you love

I love the area. I love the schools. I think you are going to love it too.

Good Luck!!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are peoples main problems when living in an apartment?
Rating: 97% based on 9598 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 komentar:

My Favorite site

Camera Info

My Faforite blog

  • WinTricks 5.0 - WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for all ...
    15 years ago

  © Blogger template Camera Guide And Information by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP